Land Use Research In Washington

Do you have questions about land uses for a property that you own or are considering buying? Call today to schedule a free consultation, (509) 606-4700.

Buyers who purchase land in Washington often believe that they own it (true) and that they can do anything they want with it (not true).

Only after buying the property – perhaps years later – do buyers realize they can’t use the property the way they want to or that there are legal encumbrances attached to the property.

If you’re not an expert in real estate law, it’s difficult to properly research and interpret land uses, particularly when the laws and regulations vary across Washington State’s 39 counties and 218 municipalities and home rule cities.

Limited Rights For Property

The most common issues that can limit your rights to use a property in Washington State include:

  • zoning laws (for residential, commercial, industrial, agricultural, and rural properties)
  • building restrictions
  • tribal law and regulations
  • conservation (easements, endangered species, and wetlands)
  • easements (for utilities, drainage, right-of way)
  • covenants, conditions, and restrictions (CC&Rs)
  • agreements (for septic or sewer, roads, farming, ranching, grazing, livestock, and fencing)
  • rights (for water, oil and gas, logging, minerals, and airspace)
  • Encumberances (tax liens, mortgages)
  • clouded title (Ownership of the land is disputed)

Land Use Research Services

At Timely Contract Washington, our experienced real estate lawyers can conduct comprehensive land use research on all types of property in Washington.

Our due diligence is thorough, and our legal opinions are easy to understand. Our goal is to provide you with the information you need, in order for you to make an informed decision.

We’ve designed our real estate legal services to be timely. Many real estate law firms might take weeks (or more) to complete a land use research project, but we can often do it in just days.

For more information about land use research in Washington or to schedule a free consultation, please call (509) 606-4700 or e-mail

Please note: In addition to land use research, we can also perform title research on properties.